At its most basic, the Christian faith is simple. We have set out below a five point summary of the message of Christianity. We hope you find it helpful.
God made each of us unique – He broke the mold after making you! He knows everything about you – in fact, He knows you better than you know yourself! He knows what’s best for you. He made us in His own image – we reflect His character in many ways.The number one characteristic of God our Heavenly Father is LOVE. He loves you very much and has good plans and purposes for you. He longs for you to enjoy an intimate, loving and fulfilling relationship with Him – and not just for this life. That’s what you were made for!
“I am the Lord, the merciful and gracious God. I am rich in unfailing love and faithfulness” (The Bible)
Everyone in humanity has sinned (done wrong things). We have not followed God’s ways and standards – in disobedience, we have done things our own way. Our wrongdoing has a number of consequences:
- It spoils – we suffer frustration and futility. Sin prevents us from discovering the good, fulfilling, satisfying life God intended for us. We fall short – we are not all God made us to be.
- It spreads – wrongdoing is often addictive (and destructive). We can find ourselves on a slippery slope, desperate to change but helpless to help ourselves.
- It separates us from God. God is perfect and holy, and we are not. Perfection and wrongdoing are a bit like oil and water – they repel each other. We are separated from God and He is a stranger to us. We simply don’t know Him. Spiritually, we are lost or ‘disconnected’.
“All have sinned (done wrong); all fall short of God’s glorious standard…Your sins have cut you off from God. Because of your sin, He has turned away and will not listen any more” (The Bible)
Jesus, God’s Son, died to deal with the consequences of our wrongdoing. Motivated by great love for us He suffered a cruel death on a cross 2,000 years ago. It was not a mistake. By dying and rising from the dead, Jesus cancelled out the effects of sin. On the cross, Jesus made possible:
- Forgiveness – from all wrongdoing, so that God declares us clean, guilt free and beautiful.
- Family Membership – God welcomes you into His family as a son or daughter. You are no longer a spiritual orphan (parentless and rootless). You belong. God your Heavenly Father says ‘Welcome home!’
- Freedom – from the stranglehold of wrongdoing and addiction in our lives.
- Full life – our enemy the devil comes with the sole purpose of stealing, killing and destroying us. But Jesus came that we might have life in all its fullness.
While all of that is possible – and is available to you as a free gift from God – it is not imposed on you. You can either accept God’s free gift or reject it. You have a choice to make (see under ‘Changed’ below).
“While we were still sinners, Christ died for us…He died for sinners that He might bring us safely home to God” (the Bible)
In the Bible, God the Holy Spirit came to people in various forms, including tongues of fire. But ultimately, He is a person who’s name literally means ‘to come alongside to help’.
He helps us in so many ways – He makes us aware of our wrongdoing (sin) in the first place; He encourages us to accept God’s free gift (above); when we do, He comes to live within us, helping us to change; He teaches us about God and His ways; He makes us more like Jesus in character; He fulfils God’s plans and purposes for our lives.
And there is so much more! Without the Holy Spirit’s help, the Christian life is impossible. He makes it possible – and exciting.
“…as the Spirit of the Lord works within us, we become more and more like Him and reflect His glory even more” (The Bible)
How will you respond to God’s offer of forgiveness, family membership, freedom and full life? God challenges you to confess you’ve done wrong things and then ‘repent’. To repent literally means to turn away from what you know is wrong and turn towards God (who will help you live well). It involves allowing God to change the way you think and behave – doing things His way rather than your own way.
Will you do a U-turn ? Will you receive God’s free and generous gift of forgiveness, family membership, freedom and full life? It’s about getting ‘reconnected’ spiritually and coming home to God.
You won’t regret it! He will change your life in so many good ways. Among other things, God wants you to experience (among other things) His love, mercy, grace, forgiveness, hope, joy, peace, comfort, strength, purpose and fulfilment.
If you would like to come into relationship with God, see ‘Becoming a Christian’…
“Now turn from your sins and turn to God (repent!), so you can be cleansed of your sins. Then wonderful times of refreshment will come…” (The Bible)